Friday, February 11, 2011

World Class PSO: Daily Thought

Change only happens when the pain of not changing is greater than the pain of changing!!

I don't know who I heard saying it first, but whoever it was is right...it doesn't matter if it is organizational change, personal change, or professional change...Change is hard!!! Think about how many of us made New Year's resolutions this year...how are you doing with that? I know that the huge surge in attendance at my gym has slowed down...Change is hard!!!

So what does it take to make a successful change? That's easy:

1. A solid plan
2. Confidence and strength that your decision is right, even in the face of adversity

OK...saying it out loud is easy. Doing it is another matter. One thing that I find helpful is to state my goal, which represents a change, out loud and often to anyone who will listen. I take this so seriously that people who have traveled with me know that at the end of the night, I will tell whomever is on the elevator with me that "I am going to the gym in the morning." I don't say this because I think these people care or to brag about my own awesomeness. Rather, I say it because inevitably someone will ask me over breakfast, "Did you go to the gym?" The last thing I want to say is, "no."

Organizational change is no different. Business managers need to state the goal and the time frame for achieving it. They need to make all stakeholders clearly aware of what is coming and the role each plays in making the change. They need to stand by their decision if they truly believe it is right - even when some stakeholders don't understand or try to influence the decision in his or her favor. My advice: Be flexible in terms of how you accomplish the goal - you have a smart team who can help with that, but don't be flexible on what the goal is if you really believe in it.

No comments:

Post a Comment